Tuesday, July 9, 2013

PUCKER UP FOR BUTTERCUP!

 
Today’s post is all about the polish rather than the mani.  There are two manis on this post today.




What I used:


REVLON: “BUTTERCUP
SINFUL COLORS: “24/7
NINA ULTRA PRO: “LIME LIGHT
RIMMEL: “BLUE MY MIND
INM: “OUT THE DOOR”

I was on a mission to find the perfect butter yellow polish.  I searched high and low at CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, Target and Sally Beauty Supply to no avail.  Finally, I was at Publix doing my grocery shopping and happened down the cosmetic aisle.  To my surprise, I spotted the shade I had been searching for.  Revlon’s “Buttercup”.

This polish is not a good one as far as pigment separation goes.  Right away I saw that there were darker yellow patches in the bottle. I shook it up and it mixed well enough so I bought it.

When I had time the next day, I played with my new shade.  I have two mani’s to share with you today, both using all of the exact same polishes.

For the first mani, I started with “Lime Light”, “Blue My Mind” and “24/7”. I used an eye shadow applicator and dabbed on each color randomly to create a collage on each nail.

 
 

After all my nails were dry, I used scotch tape (stick the tape to the palm of your hand a few times before using to reduce the stickiness, that way it won’t pull the under polish up with it when you remove it.) to tape off the wonky “plus” shape on my pinky. Then I painted over the entire nail with “Buttercup” and removed the tape right away but slowly. I gave that nail a few moments to dry a tad, and then floated a coat of “Out The Door” fast drying topcoat over the entire nail. I followed this process for each nail, and this is the outcome! I think it turned out quite nice. However, I can see that this “Buttercup” pooled in dark patches, so my mani has patches of dark yellow……which I would normally be upset by, but in this case, I turned out cool looking. ☺

 
 
For the second mani, I was inspired by a fabric pattern (which is what prompted me to hunt for a butter yellow polish in the first place).

I started with two coats of “Buttercup” on all my nails then removed it from my ring finger because I wanted to make that my accent nail. I waited for all the rest of my nails to dry.



Next I used scotch tape (again!) to tape off were I wanted the lateral line to be, on my pinky. I used “24/7”. Then removed the tape immediately, and moved on to my next nail and followed the same process alternating the height on the lateral line as well as the color….and so on.  After all was dry, I used a nail art brush to apply two vertical lines in alternating colors on each nail (again, except my ring finger).

On my ring finger, I used a dotting tool to randomly apply “Buttercup” dots. Then using the other colors I applied two smaller dots on each larger “Buttercup” dot.
 
                                                   neon, nail art, dots, pastels, bare
 
I then randomly applied “24/7” dots in-between the larger dots just to add variety. It turned out way better than I had hoped.


 

So far, I have had this mani on for 3 days and have had at least 5-6 complements.  Apparently the ladies like this mani too!

I welcome your comments.

1 comment: